Restaurant week ends on Thursday, February 4th. I wanted to give you all a brief recap of my restaurant week outings, in the event that you wanted to check out a spot or two…Why wouldn’t you!?!?!? I’m just hoping that you have already taken advantage of some of the assume deals on meals!
GT Oyster – And we’re off…
This was my first stop! Located in River North, staff is on point from the moment you walk through the door ’til you are on your way out. And when I say we tried everything…We tried a bit of everything on the restaurant week menu. WHEW and YUM at the same darn time!!!
– Clam Chowder: Very flavorful, it has bacon in it so of course I had to have it!
– Seared Tuna Salad: Light and refreshing, I find at times during restaurant week some spots tend to skimp on the portions, but NOT here! And may I add that the tuna was seared to perfection!
– Grilled Mahi Mahi: This dish is with Chinese black rice, bok choy salad, and a peanut-ginger sauce…OH ME OH MY!! What a perfect combination, this dish exceeded my expectations!
– Key Lime Pie: Desert with a gin and tonic sorbet…WOW, although I was dieting I had to have the key lime pie it is one of my FAVORITE deserts! The gin and tonic sorbet is AMAZING and the perfect sidekick!
This will hit your pockets as follows; Lunch $22 and dinner $33 if you have never been here it is a great opportunity to try some of these dishes at a somewhat slightly discounted price.
Red Door – My Favorite Spot I shared with some of my favorite peeps!
I invited my girls to join me for dinner. This favorite of mine is located in Bucktown, It’s cute and cozy and Chef Troy and staff were super accommodating for my large party of 18! We had a great evening fellowshipping and sharing. We shared our dishes so that everyone was able to experience everything that was offered on Restaurant Week the menu.
– Smoked white fish toast: served on pumpernickel with blistered grapes and Verjus. Talk about deelish, and this is NOT your grandma’s tuna!
– Grilled Baby Octopus: this yummy delight is served with fingerling potatoes, Spanish olives and smoked paprika. The flavors in this dish meshed so well, I almost wanted to ask if I could just have another portion for my dinner! Almost, but I didn’t! But MANNNNN…
– Lobster Pappardelle: this pasta dish had sweet peas, smoked bacon and asiago. The the pasta was cooked to perfection and the lobster, peas and bacon were packed with flavor. I am truly hoping that this dish makes it on the regular menu because it was soooo good!
– Bulgogi Glazed Short Ribs: Ribs + their house kimche = AMAZING!!! These ribs were packed with flavor and the kimchi was the perfect spicy kick to add with the sweet glaze!
– Salted Caramel Pot de Crème: what a true treat for someone like myself that LOVES caramel . This goes perfect with a hot cup a coffee or hot chocolate and it was the perfect way to end your meal on right foot!
Salted Caramel Pot de Creme
Frontier – Southern Girl with an Uptown Flare
I am a Southern girl and there are several dishes here that just speak to me! Chargrilled oysters, Nashville Hot fried Alligator YES I said alligator and IT DOES taste just like chicken BUT if that is not your thing the lollipop wings are quite tasty too!!! Ahi tuna sandwich is great and the portion size is HUGE! Ok, ok back to the point of this post! Restaurant Week! My girls and I went here and had the dishes listed below
– Sweet Potato Soup: with smoked Scallops, red curry crème fraiche, garlic chips. This soup was creamy, loaded with flavor and the scallops were not scarce. It was my first time trying it and I must say that it was darn good!!!
– Bison Carpaccio: accompanied with urban till greens, egg, sherry vinaigrette, chive sticks, and L’Muse gouda. O.M.GEEEEE… OMG let me just say I love carpaccio , however I am NOT a big fan of eggs, but I decided to roll with it and try something new. I ate the egg that was served with the bison carpaccio and guess what?!?!?! I am now a fan!!! It provided a perfect creamy texture that took the bison to another level! The arugula was a great accompaniment as well! Well done Frontier, this Foodie was satisfied!
– Grouper; butter poached black grouper, pea risotto, pickled watermelon radish, and mushroom nage. Let me tell you…Baby, when I saw the picture of this dish on Frontier’s IG page I was sold! The pea risotto had me intrigued, the mushroom was very flavorful and the radish was interesting…after having this dish first hand let me just say I was NOT disappointed!
– Ice Cream Sandwich, A Gingerbread Cookie, Dulce de Leche Ice Cream, dollop of caramel served with Spiked Coffee. The presentation alone on this dessert was absolutely adorable, served in a cast iron skillet sitting next to a tiny coup of coffee, and me being the coffee love that I am, this was perfect!
Ruth Chris – An oldie but a Goodie!
Who doesn’t like a good ole steak served up on a sizzling hot plate with all of the succulent flavors expected from a good steak?!?!?
– 6oz Petite Filet: was the one of most tender cuts of beef I have had, I ordered it butterflied and cooked Med+. This beef just melted in my mouth, it was so juicy and deelish!
– 5oz. Cold Water Lobster Tail: this was the perfect entree complement to the filet. As expected, the portions are smaller during this time, the lobster was still served moist and had a hint of sweetness to it
– Stuffed Chicken Breast: stuffed with garlic herb cheese that was melted to perfection, talk about ooey gooey goodness…
– Creamed Spinach: packed with so much flavor and I was able to get my GREENS in…Doesn’t that count?!?! It was spinach…hmmmm ok ok…let me check on that and get back to ya!
– Sweet Potato Casserole: I love sweet potatoes, so I had to have it! The brown sugar crust was just right with not too much sweet but just the right touch!
– Bread Pudding: this delight isn’t on their regular menu so it was a great treat to enjoy. It was served with fresh berries and a sweet cream sauce. I wasn’t able to tackle this one, but I did ask for it to go and I enjoyed it later…and boy oh boy did I enjoy it!!!!!
Lunch $22 Dinner $44
M Vie – Behind the Brown Door!
Although they aren’t participating in Restaurant Week, it is still one to mention! M Vie is swanky, M Vie is for the grown and sexy, M Vie is the place to be on Tuesdays – Saturday, M Vie is thee place where everyone knows your name!
Some of the must tries here are:
– Fried Green Tomatoes: Just like grandma used to make! They are lightly breaded and served with
shredded lettuce. I ask for a hot sauce…Don’t judge me, just try it that way!!!
– Fried Calamari: lightly battery and fried to perfection, when I am not in the mood for a full meal, this is my go to appetizer and I have never been disappointed.
– Short Ribs: Dawn, owner and chef makes this with her family recipe, they are braised and cooked slow…I mean she cooks these bad boys hours. They are served with creamy mashed potatoes and coleslaw. The ribs are so tender and juicy, this dish will have you going back for more.
– Grilled Salmon: I may be bias, but I love fish and I love this dish! It is cooked, pan seared in olive oil, herbs and white wine and served with fresh saluted spinach. This is a light healthy option for those who know summer bodies are made in the winter!
Crafted Cocktails: NEED I SAY MORE?!?!?! The mixologists are true to their
craft! You can find specialty cocktails as well as their take on the classics! One drink to try that I love and suggest that you try, is the Toya Michelle, it’s not on the menu but if you ask for it, they will make sure it’s on your table! You ask, what’s in it…well it’s light and refreshing and just plain ole good; grapefruit vodka, simple syrup, lime juice and topped off with bubbles (process).
AWESOME NEWS!!!!! This JUST announced, many locations have extended the Restaurant Week menu through the weekend.
Latest posts by Contributor NDIGO (see all)
- Book Teaches Drivers Police Interaction Best Practices - October 12, 2017
- Blues Hall Of Fame Induction At Buddy Guy’s Legends - October 12, 2017
- Why This Black Woman Will Always Remain Woke - August 29, 2017